In each bill, especially one that the president himself submits as a draft, as a legislative initiative, the president expects the parliament to deal with this matter without undue delay, said Marcin Przydacz, head of the president’s Bureau of International Policy, on TVN24. When asked about the presidential project on abortion, which has not been dealt with by the Sejm since October 2020, he replied: – Does it offend us in any way? I can confirm.
On Friday, the Sejm adopted the amendment to the act proposed by the president – called lex Tusk – establishing a commission for examining Russian influence. The amendment will now go to the Senate. The draft amendment was submitted to the Sejm on June 2, just a few days after the president signed the original law – created on the initiative of Law and Justice and called “lex Tusk” – on the establishment of a commission for examining Russian influence.
Przydacz on Lex Tusk: the commission should start working as soon as possible
He was asked about the president’s actions in the case of lex Tusk in “Rozmowa Piaseckiego” Marcin Przydaczhead of the President’s Office of International Policy.
– The president wanted this law to enter into force as soon as possible, so that the commission would start functioning, because the knowledge that the commission should show to Poles is important – he said.
Pointing out that the president’s submission of the amendment stopped work on establishing the commission, he replied: – The amendment indicates that there should be no parliamentarians there. Today, the Sejm can choose any expert who is not a senator or deputy, looking at and designing how this bill will look in the future.
– This is no longer a question for the presidential camp, why the Sejm did not choose. In my opinion, this commission should start working as soon as possible – he added.
Przydacz said that “the president’s office is following legislative process“, and “this law could be passed earlier.” – Relations between the power camps are correct, but there is no legal influence by the president on the Polish parliament separation of powers he noted.
Przydacz: we take over what is said about Poland, but it certainly does not influence decisions
The president’s minister was also asked if the president’s decision was influenced by criticism from abroad – including the State Department USA or the European Commission.
– There was a State Department statement resulting mainly from the activity of the American embassy. I am 100% sure about this because I am in constant contact with my counterparts from the State Department and the White House, and no one from Washington has called me on this matter, except of course the activity of the embassy, which – everyone in Warsaw probably knows – is bombarded by part of the Polish opposition by telephone. This is how I look at these alleged pressures – said the TVN24 guest.
He argued that “the president makes decisions based on his own analysis.” – He decided that it was necessary to send it to the Constitutional Tribunal, but he also decided that some inaccuracies in this act need to be corrected – he reminded.
– We always care about what is said about Poland, but it certainly does not affect the decisions regarding the signature. The President has his own responsibility, he makes decisions based on his own analysis and what he sees as the interest of the Republic of Poland. The president believes that the transparency of this commission is crucial. The idea is to show certain facts in a transparent way and to remind you of facts that we may have forgotten. It is important to purify oneself of any Russian influence, stressed Przydacz.
Przydacz: Does it measure us in any way? I can confirm
The head of the Presidential Office of International Policy was also asked about the presidential bill on abortion, which has been in the Sejm since October 2020.
– In each bill, especially one that the president himself submits as a draft, as a legislative initiative, the president expects the parliament to deal with this matter without undue delay – he stressed.
– Certainly, the president expects his bills to be processed without undue delay. Does it measure us in some way? I can confirm. Yes, it is definitely not a good situation when bills of the president, a man who won 10.5 million votes in Poland, end up in a drawer somewhere. They should be processed as soon as possible when they reach the parliament, the presidential minister assessed.
Przydacz on the referendum: it will be a legal argument in negotiations with the European Commission
Przydacz was also asked about the referendum on the relocation of migrants announced by PiS. – I think it makes sense. This is also a dispute over legal issues between a sovereign state and the European Union – he said. – Article 4 of the constitution says: the supreme power belongs to the nation and is exercised through its representatives or directly. When the Polish nation decides in the referendum, it is a kind of argument also in negotiations with the European Commission. But this is a legal argument, Poles have decided on the issue of forced relocation in this way, and the European Commission will have nothing to do with it, added the presidential minister. He also emphasized the differences between the legal import of workers to Poland and the “illegal import of people who came from nowhere in Europe”. He also said that Poland had accepted several million “real refugees” from Ukraine. – And unfortunately, European Commission It didn’t help us in any way,” he said.
READ ALSO. KONKRET24 CHECKED: “We have not received support from the EU to help refugees”? This is not true >>>
Main photo source: TVN24