President Andrzej Duda decided to introduce a state of emergency at the border with Belarus. – Personally, I would probably be inclined to conclude that this decision to introduce a state of emergency is right – said Witold Jurasz, a journalist from the Onet portal and the former charge d’affaires of the Republic of Poland in Belarus in “Fakty po Faktach”. In his opinion, there is a potential risk associated with Zapad maneuvers. The former head of the National Security Bureau, General Professor Stanisław Koziej, said that at the moment he would refrain from introducing the state of emergency and would not advise the president about it.
President Andrzej Duda made a decision on Thursday, at the request of the government, to introduce a state of emergency in 115 towns in the Podlaskie Voivodeship and 68 in the Lubelskie Voivodeship due to the situation on the border with Belarus. The regulation was published in the Journal of Laws on the same day. It entered into force on the date of its announcement and will be valid for 30 days.
On Monday, the presidential ordinance was to be dealt with by the Seym. The Chamber may repeal them.
The head of the Ministry of Interior and Administration, Mariusz Kaminski, explained that one of the reasons for the introduction of the state of emergency are “great military maneuvers taking place beyond our eastern border”.
Jurasz: There are many scenarios of a possible provocation
Witold Jurasz, a journalist of the Onet portal and the former charge d’affaires of the Republic of Poland in Belarus, said in “Fakty po Faktach” that “he thinks there is a potential risk related to the Zapad maneuvers, because the scenario of these maneuvers envisages the emergence of a border conflict, which then in the result of NATO intervention is escalating. “
He added that such a conflict has several scenarios. As he said, “there may be a scenario that a large group of migrants cross the borders, we know they cross it with the support of Belarusian services, internal troops, and the KGB.”
– But I also imagine a different scenario. One in which at some point a group of, I suppose, people who want good, but not necessarily acting wisely, who want to help, for example, a group of over 30 people camping at the border, and they cross the border appears, ‘he added.
– Then the Belarusians accuse us of having violated the Belarusian border – said Jurasz. He added that “there are many scenarios of possible provocation”.
– I personally would be inclined to believe that this decision to introduce a state of emergency is right – he said.
– On the other hand, what the government is also doing, i.e. opposition to the internationalization of this conflict, to attracting international observers from Frontex, the European Union, the diplomatic corps, is not right, so that they are there and that they can see, and have as many witnesses as possible – he noted .
General Kozia: I would like to refrain from introducing a state of emergency
The former head of the National Security Bureau, General Professor Stanisław Koziej, stated that at the moment he would refrain from introducing the state of emergency and would not advise the president about it.
– Unless I had information from classified sources that would indicate serious threats, especially threats related to a massive migration attack – he added.
General Koziej said that “Zapad’s maneuvers would be completely unrelated to this problem.” However, he added, “there may indeed be migration risks.” In his opinion, we could deal with them “with constitutional measures, or at best with funds from the crisis management arsenal.”
As he said, “in the border area, all public administration entities – communes, poviats, voivodships – have their own crisis management plans, which also take into account situations related to the increased need to protect the border area”. – These funds could be used – he added.