The United States has prepared a draft UN Security Council resolution that confirms Israel’s right to self-defense, Reuters has learned. The US authorities also want the council to support opposition to Iran selling weapons to “militias and terrorist groups that threaten peace and security in the entire region.”
Draft Security Council resolution UN by the US, seen by Reuters, calls for the protection of civilians, including those trying to get to safety. It emphasizes that states must respect international law in response to “terrorist attacks” and calls for “continued, sufficient and uninterrupted assistance to the Gaza Strip.”
The document, which confirms Israel’s right to self-defense, does not provide for a break in fighting or a truce. It calls on all states to try to stop the violence in Gaza or its spread to other areas in the region, including by demanding that Hamas and other armed groups immediately cease all attacks.
From Iran The American project demands “an end to sending weapons to groups that threaten peace and security throughout the region, including Hamas.”
According to Reuters, it is unclear whether and when the US plans to put the project to a vote. For a resolution to be adopted, it requires the votes of at least nine members of the Security Council and no veto by any of its five permanent members (the US, China, Russia, France and Great Britain).
The Brazilian draft resolution was thrown into the trash
As Reuters reminds, United States on Wednesday they vetoed a bill prepared by Brazil that called for a “humanitarian break” in the fighting between Israel and the Palestinian Hamas. This would enable the delivery of humanitarian aid to Gaza.
US Ambassador to the UN Linda Thomas-Greenfield expressed disappointment that the Brazilian draft did not mention Israel’s right to self-defense. She justified the veto by the need to devote more time to diplomatic activities.
The first humanitarian convoy in the Gaza Strip
On Saturday evening, Polish time, the president of the United States Joe Biden said in a statement that the first humanitarian convoy since the Hamas terrorist attack on October 7 entered the Gaza Strip and “reached the Palestinians in need.”
“The opening of this vital supply route was the result of days of diplomatic engagement at the highest levels. From the very beginning of this crisis, I have made it clear – both in my public statements and in private conversations – that humanitarian assistance is a critical and urgent need that must be implemented, and “I express my deep personal appreciation to the leadership of Egyptian President al-Sisi, Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu and the United Nations for authorizing the resumption of this assistance,” reads a statement published on the White House website.
The statement stressed that the United States is “committed to ensuring Gaza civilians have access to food, water, medical care and other assistance, without interference from Hamas.”
Israel. Conflict in the Gaza Strip
Asked about a possible land invasion of the Gaza Strip, Israeli army spokesman Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari told reporters Saturday evening that Israeli troops are trying to first create optimal conditions for it. – We will intensify our attacks (in the Gaza Strip – ed.)to minimize threats to our forces in the next stages of the war. We intend to intensify attacks from today, Hagari said, quoted by AP.
Israeli authorities have repeatedly appealed to civilians living in the Gaza Strip to leave the territory. This is intended to limit civilian losses in the event of Israeli armed forces entering the zone by land. So far, Israel has limited itself to rocket fire and bombing in retaliation for the Hamas attack. Official data says that so far more than 4,300 inhabitants of the enclave have died as a result. The number of Israelis killed in the conflict that has been ongoing since October 7 is approaching 1,500.
Main photo source: dam.media.un.org