14.7 C
London
Thursday, May 30, 2024

‘There’s a date’: Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vows Rafah invasion will go forward | World Information

Must read

- Advertisement -


Israel’s prime minister has reiterated his vow to invade town of Rafah in southern Gaza and declared: “There’s a date.”

Benjamin Netanyahu has repeatedly mentioned Israel should ship floor forces into town, which he says is Hamas’ final stronghold within the besieged enclave.

It comes as Hamas rejected the most recent Israeli ceasefire proposal, after an official mentioned no progress had been made in negotiations over the weekend in Cairo, Egypt.

“There isn’t a change within the place of the occupation (Israel) and subsequently, there may be nothing new within the Cairo talks,” the Hamas official, who requested to not be recognized, instructed the information company Reuters.

Middle East latest: Hamas rejects latest ceasefire proposal

- Advertisement -
IDF Map stills

The worldwide neighborhood has opposed an invasion of Rafah, arguing the roughly 1.4 million civilians who’ve sought shelter there shall be at risk. Israel has insisted it has a plan to guard the civilians.

On Monday, Mr Netanyahu mentioned he had acquired an in depth report on the talks in Cairo. Nonetheless, he mentioned the Rafah operation was important for an Israeli victory.

“We’re always working to attain our objectives, initially the discharge of all our hostages and reaching an entire victory over Hamas,” he mentioned in a video assertion.

“This victory requires entry into Rafah and the elimination of the terrorist battalions there. It can occur – there’s a date,” he added with out elaborating.

Please use Chrome browser for a extra accessible video participant

‘Nothing will cease’ Rafah operation

The US, Israel’s closest ally, has mentioned invading Rafah could be a mistake and has demanded to see a reputable plan to guard civilians.

Israel is buying 40,000 tents to organize for the evacuation, an Israeli official instructed the Related Press.

Learn extra:
Israel withdraws almost all troops from southern Gaza
Analysis: Key element in path to peace still missing

Royal Navy ship to be deployed in Gaza aid effort

Displaced Palestinians go to the market in Rafah. Pic: AP
Palestinians in Rafah, southern Gaza, on Sunday. Pic: AP
Picture:
Palestinians in Rafah, southern Gaza. Pics: AP

Mr Netanyahu’s remarks got here as streams of Palestinians returned to the southern metropolis of Khan Younis on Monday to salvage what they might from the swathes of destruction left by Israel’s offensive, a day after the navy introduced it was withdrawing its troops from the world.

Permitting civilians to return to Khan Younis may relieve some stress on Rafah – however many haven’t any houses to return to and face the hazard of unexploded ordnance left by the combating.

Some 33,207 Palestinians have been killed throughout six months of battle, Gaza’s Hamas-run well being ministry mentioned in an replace on Monday. Its figures don’t distinguish between fighters and civilians.

The warfare erupted after Hamas killed 1,200 individuals in southern Israel in a cross-border assault on 7 October.

The Israeli military says over 600 of its troopers have been killed in fight since then.



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article