12.4 C
London
Monday, May 27, 2024

Ukraine, Nowa Kakhovka – explosion of the dam in Nowa Kakhovka. Flooded cities and towns, thousands of people at risk

Must read

- Advertisement -


The Russians blew up the dam in Nowa Kakhovka on the Dnieper. So far, several cities and towns have been completely or partially flooded, and about 16,000 people are in the danger zone, the Kherson Regional Military Administration reported. In total, up to 80 towns and settlements may be destroyed by the water.

Information about areas at risk of flooding after Explosion of the dam in Nowa Kachówka they concern the right, western part of the Dnieper, controlled by the Ukrainian authorities, and come from 7.30 am (6.30 am in Poland) – explained in Telegram.

READ MORE: The dam in Nowa Kachówka. What is the meaning of >>>

“As of 7:30 a.m., the villages of Tyahynka, Lviv, Odradokamianka, Ivanivka, Mykilske Tokarivka, Poniativka, Bilozerka and the Island district of the city of Kherson were completely or partially flooded,” it was reported.

- Advertisement -

The area at risk of flooding after the destruction of the dam in Nowa Kachówka TVN24

“Almost 16,000 people were in the critical zone on the right bank of the Kherson region,” it said.

Prime Minister Ukraine Denys Szmyhal reported that about 80 towns and settlements are at risk of flooding.

The authorities of the region organized the evacuation of residents of the threatened areas. They are transported from their towns to Kherson and Mikołajów, and from there by trains to other cities in Ukraine.

Water flows through the destroyed dam in Nowa Kachówkatwitter.com/ZelenskyyUa

Evacuation of Nova Kakhovka

Reuters reported that about 300 homes were also ordered to evacuate in Russian-occupied Nova Kakhovka.

The head of the occupation authorities, Vladimir Leontiev, said that electricity had been cut off in part of the city for security reasons.

The AP agency previously reported that the occupation authorities in Nowa Kakhovka did not call on local residents to evacuate, although they admitted that they were “preparing for the worst consequences” in connection with the destruction of the dam.

Restrictions in Kryvyi Rih

The mayor of Kryvyi Rih in the Dnipropetrovsk region announced that due to the destruction of the dam, water consumption for residents and industry will be limited in the city. The mayor reminded that about 70 percent of the city receives water from the Piwdenne reservoir southwest of Kryvyi Rih. This reservoir is fed by a canal connecting it with the Kachow reservoir. The remaining 30 percent of the city is not dependent on the Kakhovsky reservoir.

“There will be water. But now our task is to reduce consumption by 30 percent in those districts that draw water from the Kakhovsky reservoir,” wrote mayor Oleksandr Wilkuł in a message on Telegram. He called for “maximum reduction of consumption by industry”. The pressure in residential homes will be lowered from evening hours to early morning. In some villages there will be water only in the morning.

The mayor assured that the authorities had been “aware of the risk of cutting off the water from the Kachow reservoir” for a year and had taken various technical measures, thanks to which they now have a certain amount of time.

Main photo source: TVN24





Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article