There are many women who are involved in the fight for Ukraine. They join the Women’s Battalion, which operates mainly in the east of the country. This group includes representatives of various nationalities, including Polish women. – Before establishing the organization, I knew five of its current members. We quickly got our friends together and in the first days there were 50 of us. Today, the Women’s Battalion consists of 2,500 girls, its founder Alona Danyłowa said. What is their job? – We bring to Ukraine equipment that is not a weapon – she explained.
– We have to help our military: our husbands, brothers and fathers – said in an interview with the Polish Press Agency Alona Danyłowa, founder of the Women’s Battalion organization. She told about family members at the front. – In my case it is my husband and 18-year-old brother – Danylowa confessed.
– Before establishing the organization, I knew five of its current members. We quickly rounded up our friends and in the first days there were 50 of us. Today, the Women’s Battalion consists of 2,500 girls. The basis are Ukrainian women living in the country and abroad, but there are also many people from outside of us Ukraineincluding Polish women – she said.
She added that all the efforts and dedication of these women today are concentrated in eastern Ukraine.
What are the tasks of the Ukrainian Women’s Battalion?
The primary goals of the Women’s Battalion are to support the Ukrainian army with non-lethal equipment and to remind the international community that war in Ukraine still in progress. – We bring to Ukraine equipment that is not a weapon: night vision devices, protective devices, power generators and other non-lethal tactical equipment. We have a list of specific products that soldiers tell us they need, she explained.
– When transporting equipment across the border, we show documents issued by the departments to which it is to be delivered. This is how we cooperated with the Azov regiment, among others. Their commander issued letters confirming that they needed this particular, let’s say, night vision device. We then tried to get it and then, having such a document, we transported it without any problems [sprzęt – red.] across the border – said the founder of the organization.
Danylova: The challenge is that people got used to the war. It is difficult to raise funds
Speaking about the information campaign conducted by the Battalion, Danyłowa emphasized that the basic platform is social media. – There, we promote what we do, spread knowledge about the situation in the country and collect funds to help the army – she explained.
– People just have to understand that Ukraine is the heart of Europe, that war must continue to be the number one topic in the world, and not one of many problems as it is today. (Vladimir Putinif he is not arrested here, he will go on, the woman judged.
When asked about the problems volunteers are facing at the moment, Danylowa said that “the biggest challenge is that people are tired, they have gotten used to the war and it is very difficult to raise funds to support the army.” – At the beginning, the problem was that we had a lot of money, but we couldn’t buy anything with it, because the demand for the equipment was so huge. Today the situation is reversed. There is a lot of equipment and little money – she added.
– The Ukrainians, who helped so much at the beginning, have exhausted their resources. Therefore, it is so important for us to address citizens of other countries, appealed Danylowa.
Main photo source: PAP / Mykola Kalyeniak