12 C
London
Sunday, June 23, 2024

USA. Donnie Adams was bitten by a relative – ‘carnivorous’ bacteria got into the wound

Must read

- Advertisement -


About 70 percent Doctors removed tissue from the front of his thigh for Donnie Adams after he was bitten by a relative during a family celebration and a dangerous bacteria got into the wound. On June 5, after almost 15 weeks of recovery, the hospital announced the end of his treatment.

The story of Donnie Adams has been covered in recent days by the American media. In an interview with the Tampa Bay Times, the man confessed that he discovered the first symptoms of necrotizing fasciitis, which he was diagnosed with, in mid-February – two days after separating rowdy loved ones at a family celebration. Then he noticed a small raised bump on his left thigh – a bite mark. Although he couldn’t remember exactly when he was bitten, he went to HCA Florida Northside Hospital in Saint Petersburg, where he was given a tetanus shot and antibiotics.

Over the next three days, the man’s condition deteriorated significantly. His leg was “inflamed and very sore” and he found it difficult to walk. The 52-year-old was then admitted to the surgical emergency room, where after the incision, it was found that the subcutaneous layers of his thigh had begun to rot. To save Adams’ leg, surgeons removed about 70 percent of his front thigh. Later, it was also necessary to perform another operation during which the remains of infected tissues were removed.

SEE ALSO: Media: in a fit of jealousy for his wife, he bit off a piece of a stranger’s ear

- Advertisement -

He was bitten by a relative, a “carnivorous” bacteria got into the wound

Dr. Fritz Brink, who treated Adamas, told the Tampa Bay Times that the source of the infection was definitely a wound from a relative’s bite. However, as he noted, it is impossible to determine whether the bacteria got into it from the mouth of the adventurer or whether they penetrated into it later. Although there has never been a human case of infection with the “carnivorous” bacterium, Brink says, given the temperature and humidity in the mouth, it is likely.

The doctor also estimated that if Adams had gone to the hospital a day later, it would have been difficult to control the infection, since necrotizing fasciitis would likely have spread and the risk of septic shock would have been much higher.

On June 5, after more than 15 weeks of recovery, it was reported on social media by HCA Florida Pasadena Hospital, where Adams continued treatment after being discharged from the first facility, that the 52-year-old was “officially cured”. “I’m grateful both for my leg and the care I received,” Adams told the Tampa Bay News. The 52-year-old also expressed hope that his story would encourage others not to underestimate any injuries.

Carnivorous bacteria

The so-called “carnivorous” bacteria Vibrio vulnificus are mainly found in warm, shallow coastal waters, including estuaries. These pathogens can infect minor wounds, and once they enter the body, they quickly spread throughout the body. Chemical compounds secreted by them lead to tissue necrosis, especially in the trunk and limbs. In extreme cases, amputation is necessary, and untreated infection leads to death.

SEE ALSO: The carnivorous bacterium Vibrio vulnificus is taking over new territories. This is the effect of climate change

Tampa Bay Times, NBC News

Main photo source: Twitter/@NBCNewYork





Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article