5.7 C
London
Monday, February 26, 2024

USA. Nuns sue bishop in Texas

Must read

- Advertisement -


Nuns from a convent in Texas have brought a civil lawsuit against the bishop of the local diocese. They are demanding a million dollars in damages, media reports. The bishop sent a letter to the nuns accusing them of “inciting hatred and animosity.”

The nuns of the Discalced Carmelite Sisters in Arlington have been in a dispute with the bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth, Michael Olson, since late April, when the hierarch decided to suspend priests’ visits to the convent. He did it after he accused the superior of the convent of having an affair with a priest, CBS News reported. At the same time, he began canonical proceedings in this case.

The nuns have filed a civil lawsuit against the bishop, seeking $1 million in damages from the bishop and the diocese. They accuse him of for invasion of privacy and confiscation of the convent’s computer and phone, as well as a ban on the celebration of daily mass, which “caused trauma and psychological suffering” for the members of the congregation. Additionally, they claim that they are “directly subject to the Vaticannot the local diocese” and the superior demands an independent lawyer in the church lawsuit.

SEE ALSO: He is to lead a peacekeeping mission in Ukraine. Cardinal: The war involves the pope to the point of tears

- Advertisement -

The nuns complain to the bishop. They want millions in damages

According to information obtained by NBC, 5 nuns have returned their devices, but the Carmelites do not intend to withdraw their lawsuit. Attorney Matthew Bobo, representing them in the civil trial, told NBC 5 that the diocese still has private information copied from a computer and phone. “We’re trying to get them back,” he said.

Within a month, the dispute between the bishop and the nuns was publicized by local and foreign media. On Monday, CBS News reported on a letter Olson sent to the nuns. In it, he states that the lawsuit filed against him constitutes “incitement to hatred and animosity” against him, and also blames the Carmelites for “attracting international media attention” and obstructing the investigation into the superior of the convent. “Normal daily activities in the convent have not taken place since last month and will not resume until the nuns stop behaving in this way and show love and obedience to the Holy Church and its holy shepherds,” the bishop said in a letter.

According to the representatives of the diocese, the superior admitted to “misdemeanor”. However, the lawyer representing her claims that she did it “under the influence of strong drugs” and “does not remember what she confessed to,” the Catholic News Agency reported. He now strongly denies the allegations, according to a statement cited by CNA. In the same communiqué, he stressed that the nun would not use the services of a lawyer appointed by the bishop in the canonical proceedings, who “is not independent and does not represent her canonical rights or natural law.”

SEE ALSO: Crowds of pilgrims want to see the body of a nun who died four years ago. According to the media, it did not decompose

Main photo source: Shutterstock



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article