Victory is at your fingertips. They already know that they are leaving, that they have lost, said the leader of the Civic Coalition, Donald Tusk, after the end of the debate. – This is the final stretch on the way to victory, let’s give it our all – chanted Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki from Law and Justice. Other debate participants also met with their supporters.
The following people participated in the state television election debate: Mateusz Morawiecki (PiS), Donald Tusk (KO), Szymon Hołownia from Trzecia Droga, Joanna Scheuring-Wielgus from the Left, Krzysztof Bosak from Konfederacja and Krzysztof Maj from Nonpartisan Local Government.
Tusk: victory at hand
The PO leader came out to his people supporters right after the debate. He was greeted by cries of “we will win” and “thank you.”
– First of all, thank you very much. I know that summer is clearly over and that you have endured this time here, with this debate, in this temperature. Respect. This shows how determined we are and how much we believe in winning, Tusk said.
– Remember, we must fight for victory until the last hour, until the polls close, added the PO leader.
He emphasized that “victory is within reach.” – Today it is probably very clear, and I am saying this based on recent research, and when I looked at the faces of our main opponents today, not only was Mateusz Morawiecki, there was also the head of their campaign, there is no trace of enthusiasm there, there is no no trace of faith in their own strength, they already know that they are leaving, that they have lost, Tusk said.
As he added, “this is about effectively removing PiS from power and quickly establishing a good government that will make our lives normal.” – We will win these elections not only to bring justice to justice, not only to right human wrongs later, but also to make reconciliation a reality later – emphasized the PO leader.
He appealed to his voters to work hard. – We can’t waste even one second. Tomorrow I will be in Łódź, the day after tomorrow in Ełk, then I will go to Silesia and you do everything in your power, because this chance is really at your fingertips – said Tusk.
He emphasized that the opponents are not PiS voters. – Convince them that Poland can be a nice place for everyone, regardless of political views – added Tusk, turning to his supporters.
Morawiecki: let’s do our best
– This really is the final stretch on the way to victory. It’s only a few days left, but let’s give it our all, said Mateusz Morawiecki after leaving the ATM studio in Wawer. – You see what they say, what they try to do. They try to blur our reality. And when is normality? Let’s ask ourselves this question. Normality is when there is no poverty among children, when there is no unemployment, when a mother can easily make ends meet, when retirees do not have to worry about what to put in the pot. Then there is normality. And it is worth continuing to fight for such normality, the Prime Minister emphasized.
The party’s voters chanted “thank you”, to which the head of government replied: – It’s me who thanks you. When I think about how much thanks to you, how much you were able to do, convince people in your communities, local ones, cities, villages, how we changed Poland and people’s lives, they can really pour even bigger buckets of waste on me. It rolls off me like water off Teflon.
The Prime Minister also quoted referendum questions, and in response to each of them the crowd shouted “no!” – I am asking all my compatriots: whatever your views, take part in the elections, but also vote in the referendum – added the head of government.
Hołownia: it wasn’t a debate, it was a question-and-answer question
One of the leaders of the Third Way, Szymon Hołownia, noted that “it was not a debate, it was a question-and-answer.” – But I hope that today we won at least a few voters for the Third Way – said Hołownia. – I think this can be a good evening for all of us – he emphasized. He also thanked everyone for their support.
When asked by journalists about his impressions of the debate, he said that it was “a form of interrogation using ideological paraphrases”, not a debate. – We had to find our way in this formula, it’s apparently the only one this television can afford. We will work to ensure that after the elections, normal conversations between politicians can take place on public television, and not the kind of cabaret we experienced today, Hołownia announced.
– However, of course, we had to meet not with the PiS officers, but above all with the viewers, they deserve respect. It was for them that we were here today. They are not guilty of anything. They have the right to hear the truth, and I hope that today they heard some of that truth from our mouths, emphasized one of the Third Way leaders.
Scheuring-Wielgus: I am horrified by the prime minister’s aggression
– We knew this debate would be no-questions-asked, no-retorts, so we thought it might be either heated or boring. I am generally terrified of Prime Minister Morawiecki’s aggression (…). We on the Left are fed up with this bullshit war, which is still ongoing and provoked by Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki, commented Joanna Scheuring-Wielgus, who represented the Left in the TVP debate.
She added that she is convinced that the future government will be composed of opposition parties: KO, Third Way and the Left. – And it will be a completely different government. On October 15, we are simply fighting for a better Poland and on October 16 we will wake up in a better Poland, I am convinced of that – added the Left MP.
She also appealed to Polish women to participate in the elections on October 15, saying that their rights are constantly being trampled on in Poland.
Bosak: the debate may be useful
– These were our first seven minutes of this campaign on TVP, possibly the last. I am glad that we managed to reach the main slogans and demands of the Confederation, and that we managed to reach the viewers of government-controlled television – commented Krzysztof Bosak from the Confederation.
– I think this debate may have a useful character, because there is a clear contrast between the speeches of the representatives of PiS and the Platform, less serious than those of others, even though we are dealing with people acting as prime minister and former prime minister – obsessively focused on themselves, malicious , pointless – he said. Bosak noticed that on the other side there were representatives of smaller parties who tried to present their programs and style. – In the case of Confederation, it is the style of substantive opposition, the style of a freedom party, but also based on the reason of state and national interest – he added. He stated that he was aware that “the questions would be directed at PiS.” But he appreciated the freedom of speech and the fact that no one was interrupted. – Everyone could say what they thought was important, they had the opportunity to do so – summed up Krzysztof Bosak.
May: it’s time to start talking substantively
– I am disappointed with the dispute between Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki and PO leader Donald Tusk. We believe that it is time to start talking substantively – said Krzysztof Maj, a representative of the Non-Party Local Government Workers, after leaving the studio.
In a conversation with journalists, Maj said that there was no conversation about the future of Poland. – We want to talk about a normal Poland – he emphasized. – We believe that it is time to start talking substantively, and not just looking for who was at fault, what and where – he said. – I would like to thank you for the energy that I received from the other side of the screen – he added.
As he said, “he received a lot of congratulations after the debate.” – It’s not for me to judge, but I hope that voters will give us a very good mark in the elections – concluded Maj.
Main photo source: TVN24