11 C
London
Sunday, December 10, 2023

Warsaw. Anti-Semitic banner during a march in support of Palestine. Statement of the Office of the President

Must read

- Advertisement -


The Chancellery of the President of the Republic of Poland posted a statement on social media on Sunday, assuring that President “Andrzej Duda strongly condemns the anti-Semitic slogans that appeared during yesterday’s march organized in Warsaw.” “In Poland there is no consent to express hatred towards anyone,” it was added. The mayor of the capital, Rafał Trzaskowski, in turn, wrote that “any such behavior deserves condemnation.” On Saturday, a march took place through the streets of the capital against Israel’s intervention in the Gaza Strip.

“The President of the Republic of Poland, Andrzej Duda, strongly condemns the anti-Semitic slogans that appeared during yesterday’s march organized in Warsaw,” we read in the entry posted by KPRP on the X platform (Twitter).

“We, Poles, out of memory of those murdered during the Holocaust, can never agree to any manifestations of anti-Semitism in any form and any signs of it arouse our deep indignation. In Poland there is no consent to expressing hatred towards anyone “This is completely contrary to the values ​​on which the Republic of Poland is based,” it was emphasized.

March in Warsaw, comment by the Israeli ambassador

- Advertisement -

On Saturday, a march took place through the streets of Warsaw, protesting against Israel’s intervention in the Gaza Strip. The demonstrators carried Palestinian flags and numerous banners with slogans: “Stop the genocide of the Palestinians”, “Free Palestine”, “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free”, “To “What is happening in Palestine is genocide and mass destruction, and we are witnessing it live.”

March “Solidarity with Palestine”PAP/Radek Pietruszka

One of the march participants carried a banner with the words “keep the world clean” and a drawn garbage bin with the Israeli flag inside. The content of the banner was commented on Saturday on social media by Israel’s ambassador to Poland, Yacov Livne. “Warsaw today. Polish authorities have a duty to prevent manifestations of such open anti-Semitism,” he wrote. In an entry published on Sunday, he thanked the Polish president for his statement.

Read also: Rally in front of the Israeli embassy. “We’re still looking for peace”

The mayor of Warsaw also commented on the matter on social media Rafał Trzaskowski. “In Warsaw – a city so severely tried by history – there can be no place for hatred and anti-Semitism. There can be no consent for anti-Semitic banners. Any such behavior deserves condemnation. Anyone who commits them should face legal consequences,” he wrote in Sunday evening on the X platform (formerly Twitter).

According to media findings, the banner was held by a student of the Medical University of Warsaw. The Medical University of Warsaw posted a statement on social media on Sunday. It was emphasized that “the main values ​​of the University include respect for every person.” “We unequivocally condemn all manifestations of hatred, including those based on nationality and race. The incident took place outside the Medical University of Warsaw. The University authorities took appropriate steps provided for by law,” it was written.

Saturday’s march in Warsaw was one of similar events currently organized in many countries around the world. Numerous pro-Palestinian demonstrations took place in many countries in Europe and around the world.

The conflict between Israel and Hamas

Since the beginning of the conflict that began on October 7, 4,651 Palestinians have been killed and 14,245 injured in the Gaza Strip, the Palestinian Authority reported on Sunday. health department. A ministry spokesman said that over the past 24 hours, Israeli bombings killed 266 people, including 117 children. Earlier on Sunday, the ministry said at least 55 Palestinians were killed in the Gaza Strip overnight in Israeli bombings, and another four people were killed in the West Bank.

Israel announced on Saturday evening its intention to intensify attacks on the Gaza Strip in preparation for the next stage of its war against Hamas. Israeli military spokesman Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari once again appealed to residents of the northern part of the enclave to evacuate to the south of the Strip.

Read more: Israeli army: we will intensify attacks on the Gaza Strip

The conflict began with a terrorist attack by Palestinian Hamas, which entered Israel on October 7, murdering residents of border towns and kidnapping civilians to the Gaza Strip. Over 1.4 thousand people died then. people, and no less than 203 civilians were abducted, including children, women and seniors.

Main photo source: Jacek Szydlowski / Forum



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article