Demonstration under the slogan “Not one more bomb. Free Palestine!” took place on Saturday in Warsaw. Protesters marched from Savior Square to the Israeli Embassy. At the Warsaw Police Headquarters we heard that the assembly was “safe”.
– About a thousand people gathered, they had banners on which we could read: “Solidarity with the Palestinian resistance.” The demonstration was secured by a large number of policemen also using a mobile monitoring center, at the beginning of the event, Savior Square was closed to traffic – reported Artur Węgrzynowicz from tvnwarszawa.pl after 1 p.m.
– A lot of people are dying in Gaza all the time, and the situation is getting worse every day. At this point there is no internet connection, there is no communication. There is no water, there is no food. According to the data I saw yesterday, there are 12,000 victims, of which five thousand are children. The world is not reacting to this as it should, said one of the demonstration participants.
She added that, according to protesters, the reaction to the situation in Gaza should be the same as to the war in Ukraine.
The demonstration ended just before 4 p.m. The protesters reached the Israeli embassy. At the Warsaw Police Headquarters we heard that the assembly was “safe”.
The power of “two atomic bombs”
“By November 2, Israel had dropped over 25,000 tons of explosives in the Gaza Strip, which was equivalent to the power of two atomic bombs. All this on approximately 70 percent of Warsaw’s area. The slogan: ‘Gaza, Warsaw – a common cause,’ which we often raise in our demonstrations, has a very symbolic dimension. Several dozen years ago, Warsaw was razed to the ground. Today, now, this applies to the Gaza Strip,” the organizers wrote in the Facebook description of the event.
“According to data from the UN Special Rapporteur presented on November 8, Israel’s attacks have destroyed or damaged 45 percent of all residential buildings in the Gaza Strip, causing the forced displacement of approximately 1.5 million people. The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs reported in October of the ‘destruction of entire residential neighborhoods ‘ in Gaza. By November 4, most schools in the Gaza Strip had been bombed. Refugee camps, hospitals, mosques and churches were repeatedly attacked. On November 9, the World Health Organization reported that the number of dead, the crowding of people and the destruction of health care, sanitary facilities and the system water supply causes a high risk of an epidemic outbreak,” they added.
They also quoted the words of UN Secretary-General António Guterres, who said that Gaza was becoming a “graveyard of children.” “By November 9, 4,412 children had been killed as a result of the Israeli invasion. This is not a mistake – four and a half thousand children alone. The total number of confirmed civilian victims in the Gaza Strip was 10,812. However, Palestinians are dying not only in the Gaza Strip. At the same time in the West On the shore, Israeli forces killed 158 of them, including 45 children. Millions of people around the world, of all religions and nationalities, are not silent in the face of the ongoing genocide. We cannot and will not remain silent either. The data provided is no longer valid. Let’s go out into the streets, demanding that the tragic counter stop ticking. Not one more bomb! Free Palestine!” – they appealed.
Conflict in the Gaza Strip
Let us recall that on October 7 in the morning, Hamas attacked Israel. The fighters entered the country by land, sea and air, and fired thousands of missiles. The attacks affected many places. One of the first was an outdoor event taking place that night as part of the Nova Festival in rural farmland about three kilometers from Israel’s border with the Gaza Strip. At least 260 bodies of victims of the attack were later removed from the area where the festival was held.
What traffic disruptions?
The Public Transport Authority informed that the participants of the demonstration would go along the following streets: Nowowiejska – Krzywicki in front of the building at Krzywicki 24. “If it is not possible to travel, bus and tram lines will be diverted to diversion routes,” ZTM warned. Changes in routes concerned buses on the following lines: 118, 131, 151, 174, 200, 222, 502, 514, 519, 520, 522, 525, Z17 and tram lines 4, 10, 15, 17, 18, 33, 35.
The city did not agree to organize the demonstration
The mayor of the capital announced at the beginning of the week that the city does not agree to a demonstration regarding the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. He justified the decision for safety reasons. He emphasized that the city manages them in the case of each assembly. However, ultimately, the court did not share the doubts raised by officials and the police.
In October, we also reported on tvnwarszawa.pl that the prosecutor’s office is assessing whether a student who carried a banner with the Star of David in a garbage can during a pro-Palestinian demonstration in Warsaw she committed a crime. The Medical University of Warsaw is also active, where a woman from Norway is studying. The participants of the march on October 21 protested against Israel’s intervention in the Gaza Strip.
– Inspection activities in this case are carried out by the Warsaw-Śródmieście District Prosecutor’s Office in Warsaw. The first notification was received by the prosecutor’s office on November 3, 2023 and concerned incitement to hatred based on nationality, i.e. an act under Art. 256 pairs 1 of the Penal Code. As part of the verification procedure, we were ordered to interview the reporting persons regarding the circumstances of the incident, as well as to secure photographic and audio-video materials related to the case – Szymon Banna, spokesman for the District Prosecutor’s Office in Warsaw, told us.
Main photo source: PAP/Paweł Supernak