20.5 C
London
Monday, May 20, 2024

Warsaw. Discovery in the basement of the court in Solidarity. “Mysterious Paintings”. Why were they created? There are several hypotheses

Must read

- Advertisement -


During conservation works in the basement of the District Court in Warsaw at Aleja Solidarności, fragments of polychrome, probably from the period of World War II, were discovered – informed the Mazovian Voivodship Conservator of Monuments.

Prof. Jakub Lewicki specified that these are plant ornaments and figural scenes, satirical, grotesque scenes, as well as oriental paintings.

“Mysterious paintings probably come from the period of World War II” – he added.

Several hypotheses

- Advertisement -

The conservator is in the process of determining the origin of the polychromes and their original purpose. There are several hypotheses.

“One of them was presented by the conservation team examining the oldest layers of painting and making excavations. It was suspected that these could be pictures painted for children who might have been hospitalized here during the war. They could also be used for spatial orientation and facilitate the evacuation of Jews and Jewish children from the ghetto to the Aryan side, constituting a kind of colorful map” – said the conservator.

He noted that another theory is that the paintings are the decoration of the cafe interiors, which, according to the competition plan by the outstanding architect Pniewski, were to be located in the court’s basement. Still others claim that the paintings were made during the war by soldiers stationed here.

“We hope that this interesting discovery will find a solution and we will learn about the history of these charming and colorful polychromes. However, we know one thing for sure. The paintings are extraordinary and worth exploring and preserving” – emphasized Prof. Levitical.

The building survived, but the 5th and 6th floors were burnt down

The construction of the representative building of the municipal courts in Leszno (commonly referred to as Courts in Leszno) was entrusted to prof. Eng. arch. Bohdan Pniewski. Construction began in the second half of 1935, lasted less than 4 years and was completed in the spring of 1939. The building began to serve the Warsaw judiciary on June 30, 1939.

As a decoration, the maxim – Justice is the mainstay of the power and durability of the Republic – formulated by Andrzej Frycz Modrzewski, was placed above the main entrance.

Despite the outbreak of World War II, municipal courts continued to serve the Polish judiciary. Their work was interrupted only by German air raids. On December 11, 1939, the courts resumed their activity, but under strict German control and supervision. They occupied part of the building from the side of ul. Leszno, in the remaining part the Germans organized their own hospital.

Due to the functions it performed, the building was not included in the Warsaw Ghetto in November 1940. It became a meeting place for people from both sides of the ghetto wall – both Jews (from Leszno Street) and Poles (from Biała Street) had access to the building.

After the end of the war, the building was reconstructed. The building survived, but the 5th and 6th floors were burnt down. The rebuilt building was put into use in July 1949 and a year later the Supreme Court moved to the building. The building also houses the District Court in Warsaw.

Read also >>> The water tower on one of the oldest railway routes in Mazovia, entered in the register of monuments

The water tower at the Tłuszcz railway stationMazovian Voivodship Conservator of Monuments

Main photo source: MWKZ



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article