Work is underway to renovate the historic chapel at Krakowskie Przedmieście. The old color of the balustrade and the pulpit has been restored. For this year, the temple also plans to restore the sculptures and paintings of the main altar.
In December 2022, the maintenance of the cast-iron railings on the mezzanine of the choir and the pulpit in the Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary at Krakowskie Przedmieście 62 was completed. An inconspicuous temple, known more widely as the Res Sacra Miser chapel, it blends into the frontages of buildings at the height of Hoover Square, but hides real treasures.
The mentioned balustrade and pulpit come from the 19th century. They were placed indoors between 1825 and 1845 on walls covered with 18th-century frescoes. Prior to the conservation works, all cast iron elements were painted cream. Over the years, as the interior design of the church changed, it was repainted at least six times. As a result, the detail of the ornaments was illegible.
The details have been restored to their original color
The sophisticated openwork ornament was revealed after removing the layers of paint. Details present in the chapel have also been restored to their original black color. The balustrade and the cast-iron basket of the pulpit gained it. The wooden canopy of the pulpit, which was painted black, was also subjected to conservation. The paint contained graphite to imitate metal. The rays of glory and the carved dove decorating the canopy are covered with gold leaf and silver.
As noted by the Office of the Warsaw Conservator of Monuments, the secondary, cream colors did not look good in the historic interior. Currently, dark, cast-iron elements are a significant accent of the church’s interior.
But this is not the end of the renovation of the chapel. “In 2023, the conservation of the sculptures and paintings of the main altar will begin. The scope of the works already carried out brings us closer to the moment when this unusual interior will be made available to the wider public” – announces the town hall.
The chapel was built in the 17th century
The church was built in 1664 in the former dining room of Adam Kazanowski’s palace as a monastery church of the Discalced Carmelite nuns. It is an object of exceptional artistic and historical value, especially since it is one of the few temples in Warsaw that survived the war without major damage.
The works carried out are a continuation of a comprehensive conservation project of the entire interior co-financed from the city’s funds since 2016. In 2022, the renovation was supported with PLN 98,000.
In recent years, the conservation of the painting decorations of the vault was completed. On the walls, frescoes from the times of the Discalced Carmelite nuns from the first half of the 18th century were unveiled, which were painted over in the 1960s. Above the galleries, oil paintings from the second half of the 19th century, painted directly on plaster, have also been preserved.
We also wrote about the work in Metropolitan Cathedral:
Main photo source: Office of the Warsaw Conservator of Monuments