A fragment of the façade has been torn off the building of the former Telecommunications and Telegraphic Office. Firefighters are working to secure the scene. We received the first information and photos on Contact 24.
The address of the building is Nowogrodzka 45, but firefighters’ activities are focused on its wing from the Poznańska side. Two fire trucks are parked in the area of the crossing with Żurawia.
– At the height of the eighth floor, a piece of the facade is torn off. Firefighters are working on a ladder and trying to secure this place – informs Bogdan Smoter from the Municipal Headquarters of the State Fire Service. As she emphasizes, no one was harmed.
The building was erected at the turn of the 1920s and 1930s. It was part of the complex of the Telecommunications and Telegraphic Office. The Warsaw 1939 Foundation states that during the Warsaw Uprising he was a German redoubt, never captured by the insurgents. In August 1944, 18 Polish postal workers were shot in the burned-out halls of the office building. After World War II, the building was expanded.
Main photo source: Daniel M. Albert / Contact 24