11.7 C
London
Sunday, May 19, 2024

Warsaw. The president of Tramwaje Warszawskie, Wojciech Bartelski, was elected a member of the board of UITP

Must read

- Advertisement -


The president of Tramwaje Warszawskie, Wojciech Bartelski, became a member of the board of UITP, i.e. the International Association of Public Transport, and the head of the tram division. His term will last two years.

– This is the first such position held by a Pole in this association. During the summit, Renée Amilcar from Canada was elected president of UITP, the first woman in history to hold this position, Maciej Dutkiewicz, spokesman for Warsaw Trams, said.

Wojciech Bartelski became a member of the UITP board

UITP – Union Internationale des Transports Publics, is an organization associating public transport operators, scientific institutes and the public transport industry. It brings together 1,900 members from 6 continents and over 100 countries around the world.

- Advertisement -

The association has existed since 1885, initially under the name of the International Tram Union. Since then, every 2 years a summit with an exhibition fair is organized. Poland hosted the UITP summit once. In 1930, guests from 20 countries came to Warsaw. Tramwaje Warszawskie joined the UITP in 2008.

On September 24, 1928, at a meeting of the governing committee of the International Union, it was decided by a majority of votes that in 1930 the XXII Congress would be hosted by the capital of Poland – Warsaw.

What was the communication like back then?

According to the state of 1930 in Warsaw, the length of tracks was over 177 kilometers (including sidings and stabling tracks in depots, it was slightly over 203 kilometers). The condition of the rolling stock was: 366 motor cars and 291 trailer cars and 14 summer trailer cars (derived from horse traction).

Tramwaymen had five tram depots, three of which were open in the times of horse traction: “Muranów” (1881), “Mokotów” (1882) and “Wola” (1903) and two that were put into use in the 1920s: “Praga (1925) and Rakowiec (1930). In addition, Trams had their own power plant (1908), which was successively modernized and expanded. In 1929, the first substation was built, located in the then suburb of Praga (at the local tram depot at Kawęczyńska Street).

An exhibition was organized, translation was possible

The Management Board of the Association of Transport Companies in Poland assumed that the congress in Warsaw should stand out from the previous ones so that it could be remembered for a long time. It was proposed to organize, immediately after the congress, an international communication exhibition, which met with approval.

For the needs of the congress, a special postage stamp was designed, which could be used for correspondence sent on the days of the congress, and a round pin, which was given to each participant together with an accompanying person.

For the duration of the 22nd Congress, trams running around Warsaw were decorated with flags in the colors of Poland and the countries participating in the congress.

An interesting fact was that during the congress (and it was 97 years ago) a headphone translation system into German and French was organized.

The communication exhibition was held at the Poznań Fair.



Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article