During the construction of the tram line to Wilanów at Puławska Street, fragments of the walls of the former “Mokotów” depot were uncovered. It was used by trams until the 1950s.
“This depot was built in 1881 at 13/15 Puławska Street to service the horse trams of the Belgian company Société Générale de Tramways Varsoviens. The trams were built as a private, licensed investment. With the electrification of the tram network in 1908, this depot was expanded, and in 1916 its area has been included in the precincts of the capital” – said spokesman for the Warsaw Trams, Maciej Dutkiewicz.
A fragment of the old “horse” hall
He explained that World War II caused serious damage to the depot building, but it was partially rebuilt already in 1945 – the small depot hall was cleared and the tracks were reforged to a new gauge. “Biuro Odbudowy Stolicy also decided to demolish the surviving front of the large parking hall and to fill in inspection channels. The roadway of Goworka Street was built around the former track, and the area south of the depot was designated for the construction of new facilities” – he added.
“In August 1955, the process of gradual relocation of the depot began, which was crowned with the official opening two months later. The former depot was liquidated in stages, including the demolition of a small hall” – explained the spokesman. He emphasized that a fragment of an old “horse” hall or an administrative building was most likely discovered.
On part of the area of the former “Mokotów” depot, there is now the Puławska Financial Center, an office building built in the 1990s.
Main photo source: Warsaw Trams