Danny Ings scored twice as Southampton piled the pressure on struggling Watford with a 3-1 victory at Vicarage Road on Sunday.
Ings registered his 20th goal of the season with a superb solo effort on 16 minutes and capitalised on Ben Foster’s poor clearance with his 21st of the campaign 20 minutes from time.
Watford were handed a lifeline on 79 minutes when Southampton defender Jan Bednarek put through his own net, but the Hornets’ hopes were extinguished three minutes later by James Ward-Prowse’s spectacular free-kick.
A club-record eighth top-flight away win of the season lifts Southampton up to 13th and sees Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side reach the coveted 40-point mark, while Watford remain just a solitary point clear of the relegation zone in 16th having played a game more than West Ham and Bournemouth.
More to follow…
Opta stats – Record breaking Saints win on the road again
- Southampton have won eight away league matches this season – the most they have ever won away from home in a top-flight campaign.
- Watford have won just one of their last 10 Premier League matches (W1 D3 L6), a 3-0 win over champions Liverpool in February.
- Watford goalkeeper Ben Foster made his 100th consecutive Premier League start, becoming the 19th player to do so. Aged 37 years and 86 days, he is the oldest player to achieve this feat (based on their age in the 100th consecutive start).
- Since the Premier League resumed this month, none of the teams currently in the bottom five of the league have won a game – from 13 games combined, those five teams have won just three points (P13 W0 D3 L10).
- Only Matt Le Tissier (7) has scored more direct free-kick goals for Southampton in the Premier League than James Ward-Prowse (6), who has scored one in both meetings with Watford this season.
Watford now go to Champions League-chasing Chelsea on Saturday, July 4 at 8pm, live on Sky Sports. Southampton host Manchester City on Sunday, July 5 at 7pm.