82 years have passed since the outbreak of World War II. A ceremony with the participation of state authorities, including Prime Minister, Speakers of the Sejm and Senate. – Poles fought for freedom, a better world, a free homeland and Europe – said Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki.
Before At 4.45 on Wednesday, the anniversary celebrations at Westerplatte began with the participation of the highest state authorities: Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki, Speaker of the Sejm Elżbieta Witek, Speaker of the Senate Tomasz Grodzki and Minister of National Defense Mariusz Błaszczak. President Andrzej Duda was on Wednesday morning in Wieluń.
Prime Minister Morawiecki emphasized that “every year there are fewer people who remember those days, that September”. – From year to year, there are fewer and fewer eyewitnesses to the war that began earlier with the pact between Hitler and Stalin on August 23, 1939. War, which was the greatest hecatomb of the twentieth century, one of the bloodiest conflicts in the history of mankind – he said.
– Today, 82 years after the start of this terrible war, we must be aware that the process of displacing from memory and consciousness who was the actual perpetrator, who was responsible for those crimes, for the destruction, for death – he said. – He confuses the executioners with the victims, assigning different roles to those who, in dramatic circumstances, defended humanity, freedom and independence against those who brutally murdered, destroyed the entire nation, and destroyed entire countries from the very beginning, he stressed.
– Behind us is the inscription “No more war”, but this war was started by the German invaders. From the very first days of the war, the Wehrmacht committed brutal crimes against the Polish civilian population, Morawiecki reminded.
Morawiecki: Poles were fighting for a better world, a free homeland and Europe
The prime minister pointed out that “Poles fought for freedom, a better world, a free homeland and Europe, for a world without war”. – It was the Poles who suffered the greatest sacrifice – he added.
– In the first days of the war, women, children and old people were murdered, entire villages were burned. It is enough to mention the village of Złoczew. Let the atmosphere and shoe of the Germans in those days reflect the fact that in the first weeks of the war the burning Złoczew was shown as the background of a film chronicle and screened in cinemas – emphasized Morawiecki.
– These operations were performed by ordinary soldiers, not only by sadistic Gestapo officers, not only by officers of such formations as the SS or SA, but also by members of the formation theoretically, as it might seem, not having much in common with the conduct of the war, with the occupation. These were formations and civil services. These are all zealous executioners of Hitler who did his will, said the Prime Minister. – It is the German nation that bears full and absolute responsibility for what happened then – he emphasized.
As he explained, it was “an operation to destroy the Polish nation, which was to complete the extermination, precisely calculated at 85 percent of Polish citizens”. – The remaining 15 percent were to be turned into Germanized slaves. It was also an economic operation, a gigantic robbery, the seizure of property and deposits in Poles’ bank accounts, the seizure of goods, theft of factories – he added.
– It was mass robbery, robbery and destruction that were never even significantly compensated. We must remember this, because the Germans, together with the Soviets, deprived us of freedom, independence, and opportunities for normal development for many decades – he pointed out. – Soldiers and civilians fought on all fronts of World War II, they had deep faith and the will to fight to the last drop of blood – said Morawiecki.
Speaker of the Sejm: Today some are trying to rewrite the history of World War II
The Marshal of the Sejm, Elżbieta Witek, said that when we recalled September 1, 1939, we should consider and think what the defenders of Westerplatte would think today, when it is so “dangerous, when there are so many wars in the world, when our eastern border is dangerous”.
“I don’t think there would be anything more important to them than to join forces to defend their homeland, to sacrifice everything for it,” she said.
She also pointed out that “two anti-human ideologies” led to World War II. – Where ideologies prevail, where there is no value, nothing permanent can be built – she said.
Błaszczak: we pay tribute and glory to the soldiers because they bravely stood up for the motherland
– We are in a holy place, sanctified with the blood of the Polish Army soldiers who defended Westerplatte against the German invasion. We pay tribute and glory to them because they bravely stood up for our homeland. Because they are a model for today’s soldiers of the Polish Army – said Minister of National Defense Mariusz Błaszczak.
Main photo source: TVN24