14 children and one employee of a kindergarten in Biała Podlaska (lubelskie province) were poisoned by salmonella. Two children are hospitalized. The headmistress of the kindergarten, in an interview with local media, claims that the source of infection was elsewhere. The health department is conducting an epidemiological investigation.
Two children from local government kindergarten number 6 in Biała Podlaska were hospitalized due to salmonella poisoning. By Thursday, 14 cases had been reported among children and one among staff.
The health department inspected the kindergarten
The spokesperson of the Voivodship Sanitary and Epidemiological Station in Lublin, Agnieszka Dados, announced that after receiving information about children being poisoned with salmonella, the health department immediately inspected the kindergarten and conducted a detailed analysis of supplies, storage conditions of raw materials, semi-finished products, foodstuffs and menus.
– Sanitary samples were taken for laboratory tests. Epidemiological interviews were carried out with the children’s parents and kindergarten staff, and tests were ordered on children and people potentially exposed to infection, Dados said.
She added that the situation is controlled and monitored on an ongoing basis by employees of the health department in Biała in order to prevent the further spread of the infection.
She appealed to parents and kindergarten employees to “be vigilant and report any disturbing symptoms to primary care physicians”.
She noted that infections caused by Salmonella bacteria can be more severe in children than in adult patients. Listing the basic symptoms of salmonellosis, she indicated: fever, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Headmistress: Our facility was not the focus of the infection
– In mid-May, we received information from the parents of two children that they had been diagnosed with salmonella – said the director of kindergarten No. 6 Marzenna Andrzejuk in an interview with “Dziennik Wschodni”. – health department took swabs for bacilli from our kindergarten, including the kitchen, but the results were negative. Therefore, our facility was not the focus of infection, she assured.
The newspaper reported that in the meantime other children had had smallpox. – When they came back, some of them started complaining about stomach pains. At the request of the health department, tests were carried out on our toddlers from two pre-school groups – added the director. The results confirmed the disease in several more people. – I suspect that the children came untreated and infected their friends. But, for example, our employee did not have any symptoms – Andrzejuk noted.
We tried to contact her, but she was absent from work on Friday. In the secretary’s office we heard that the facility was closed due to the detection of salmonella. – We have followed all disinfection recommendations. In addition, I decided to ozonize the rooms – the director told the journal.
We asked Agnieszka Dados about the source of infection and who decided to close the kindergarten. She replied that she could not provide details. – Currently, employees of the Sanitary Inspection in Biała Podlaska are continuing the epidemiological investigation and are taking all necessary measures to control and prevent the further spread of the infection – she said.
PAP, Dziennik Wschodni, tvn24.pl
Main photo source: Shutterstock