World Health Organization (WHO) Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus urges rich countries to postpone the third dose of the COVID-19 vaccine by the end of the year. In early August, the WHO called for a moratorium on booster doses of COVID-19 vaccines until at least the end of September.
Rich countries with large stocks of COVID-19 vaccines should refrain from giving the third dose by the end of the year, World Health Organization (WHO) CEO Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Wednesday.
The WHO chief recalled that his previous appeal to suspend the administration of a booster dose of the anti-coronavirus preparation was ignored. He added that he was “shocked” by comments from leading drug manufacturers’ organizations. They said that vaccine stocks were sufficient to deliver them to countries in need and at the same time run a booster vaccination campaign.
“I won’t be silent when pharmaceutical companies and countries that control the world’s vaccine supply say the poor should settle for scraps,” the WHO chairman said at a press conference.
WHO calls for a moratorium on booster doses of vaccines
At the beginning of August WHO called for a moratorium for booster doses of COVID-19 vaccines at least until the end of September. The United States immediately rejected this demand, judging that there was “no need” to choose between giving the third dose of the vaccine to its citizens or supporting poorer countries.
Since then, many countries have launched a booster campaign for some citizens. Outside the US, these include Israel, France, Great Britain, Denmark and Germany. Also in Poland, at the end of August, the Medical Council approved the approval of the third dose of the Covid-19 vaccine for people with impaired immunity.
Main photo source: DIEGO AZUBEL / PAP / EPA