The head of PSL, Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz in Łódź, spoke about the protest of paramedics and the state of emergency introduced by the president’s decision on the border with Belarus. – This is not because the rescuers do not want to carry out their actions or are not there. They are not physically and mentally capable – he noted. – The state of emergency in the Polish emergency service has been going on for a long time. This is a state of emergency for patients – he assessed.
Paramedics have been fighting for higher wages for a long time, and they do not agree to extremely difficult working conditions. On September 1, they started a nationwide protest. Some of them did not come to work or took the minimum number of hours on call. Rescuers announce that on September 11 they want to take part in a large demonstration of health care workers, which is to take place in the capital.
The head of the Polish People’s Party, a doctor of medical sciences by education, spoke about the ongoing protest at the Saturday conference in Łódź. Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz. He assessed that the current situation in the rescue services is tragic.
– A few hours ago, an incident occurs in Warsaw, where help is provided 150 meters from the ambulance service. But not through an ambulance, because there are no rescuers, because they are not able to work in such conditions. An LPR helicopter must arrive and it lands on a street in Warsaw. One helicopter lift is the monthly salary of a paramedic – he said. On Friday, on Constitution Square in the capital the LPR helicopter landed.
According to the head of the People’s Party, replacing the medical service with the army and the LPR shows the scale of neglect in this area.
– This is not because the rescuers do not want to carry out their actions or are not there. They are not physically and mentally capable [ich wykonać – przyp. red.], and I say this as a physician who has volunteered with them in the covid ward. They are fed up with excessive bureaucracy and the frauds of this authority against them, because agreements are signed and then they are not fulfilled – he pointed out. – They are fed up with being treated as a necessary evil, fed up with being pushed around – assessed Kosiak-Kamysz.
The president of PSL mentioned that he was listening to Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki on Saturday. – He says that today we should not present all the terms of an agreement that could be reached. No, Prime Minister. Today it must be done immediately so that there is no situation where an ambulance is not leaving 150 meters from the emergency service, but a helicopter is sent. This is a bizarre, unbelievable situation – he assessed.
He added that his group was standing up for this professional group because it also called for patients and their safety.
– In many municipalities in the border area, a state of emergency is introduced, and the state of emergency in the Polish emergency service has been going on for a long time. This is a state of exceptional threat to patients – emphasized Kosiniak-Kamysz.
He proposed that the solution to the situation was proposed by PSL other financing for health care, including excise duty on alcohol and cigarettes. As he explained, “the billions of zlotys that the government collects from the excise tax on alcohol and cigarettes should go to health protection”. – Such a project is ready – he assured.
PSL filed a motion to dismiss the minister of agriculture
The president of PSL also referred to the situation in Polish agriculture. He mentioned that it was included in the genetic code of the peasantry. He stated that the government did not fulfill its promises to farmers and that today they are threatened with money from EU funds.
– We will do everything, it is also a task for our MEPs so that no euro is lost, but under this authority we are not sure if they will do everything. Because for the time being they are doing everything to make sure that EUR 57 billion for Poland is lost. They cannot discuss, they cannot conduct dialogue, and agriculture needs this money – he said.
In the opinion of Kosiniak-Kamysz, the situation in the Polish countryside is “dramatic” and therefore, as PSL reported, it filed a motion in the Sejm to dismiss Grzegorz Puda from the post of minister of agriculture and rural development. According to the announcement of the head of the PSL, the motion is to be processed at the next regular session of the Sejm on September 15.
– We will do everything to dismiss the ineffective minister, but it is also an opportunity to present the problems of the Polish countryside and our solutions, because the rulers lost their solutions somewhere and forgot about them – he announced.
How will PSL vote on the state of emergency?
A state of emergency came into force on Thursday in the border zone with Belarus, in some of the Podlaskie and Lubelskie voivodeships. It covers 183 localities and was introduced for 30 days under the Presidential Ordinance issued at the request of the Council of Ministers. The regulation on the introduction of the state of emergency may be repealed by the Sejm, the chamber will deal with this issue on Monday at a special meeting.
Kosiniak-Kamysz, when asked how his party would vote, admitted that due to insufficient information on the matter, he could not declare anything.
– It is difficult to make a decision without full knowledge. Today it would be irresponsible to declare a vote. Today we have no grounds to support the introduction of a state of emergency, because the prime minister did not invite us, did not inform us, and did not want consultations. This authority does not recognize cooperation, only autocracy. But we will be active in the debate, we will speak and then we will make decisions, explained the head of the peasants.
As he said, today it is difficult to trust the government that the state of emergency was introduced for security reasons and in his opinion the reason for such a decision was electoral and political reasons.
In his opinion, any rational authority should cooperate with the real threat. – When something serious happens, we should all join forces. What is happening now when a state of emergency is introduced? For the first time in the history of the Republic of Poland, there was no National Security Council, no meeting with the prime minister, or even a committee for secret services, so that we, as parliamentarians, would have knowledge of the reasons for introducing a state of emergency, he said. This – according to the leader of the PSL – shows that these are not patriotic activities in the interest of all citizens and the defense of borders.
– We do not see any premises today that the government would formulate why a state of emergency is being introduced. We are waiting for a debate in parliament, we are waiting for what the prime minister will say, but there are no premises in the President’s regulation showing the reasons for introducing a state of emergency. There is no consultation with the opposition, which means that it is a political game and we are afraid of that, he said.
In justifying the request to introduce a state of emergency in the border zone, the government argued it with the situation on the border with Belarus, where the regime of Alexander Lukashenka is waging a “hybrid war” using migrants, as well as the upcoming Zapad military maneuvers.
Main photo source: TVN24