The scale of the pathology in which people from the secret services, people from the prosecutor’s office and many public figures were involved would require taking action to reveal the truth – said Wojciech Kwaśniak, former deputy head of the Polish Financial Supervision Authority, who was brutally beaten in front of his home in 2014. Then, in 2018, CBA agents detained Kwaśniak without justification – according to the court. – The state has betrayed me and is taking me to court – said the guest of “Fakty po Faktach”.
The guest of “Faty po Faktach” was Wojciech Kwaśniak – former general inspector of banking supervision and former vice-chairman of the Polish Financial Supervision Authority.
In May 2014, Kwaśniak was brutally beaten in front of his home in Warsaw. The bandit was allegedly hired by a member of the supervisory board of SKOK Wołomin. – The state quickly identified the perpetrators of this shameful act thanks to the efforts of the Department for Combating Terror and Homicide of the Warsaw Police Headquarters – said Wojciech Kwaśniak on TVN24 on Wednesday. – It’s worth thanking these people. Unfortunately, all the policemen who dealt with my case either no longer work in the Police or no longer work in this Department. Wołomin’s hands are long and strong, he continued.
Read also: A verdict was passed in the case of the attack on Wojciech Kwaśniak. Former deputy head of the Polish Financial Supervision Authority: it is hard to bear that the state does not protect its official
“When the prosecutor’s office detains loved ones, it is difficult for the family”
Kwaśniak was asked what he thought about the fact that the wives of convicted and imprisoned former MPs Mariusz Kamiński and Maciej Wąsik appealed for the release of their husbands. – When the prosecutor’s office detains loved ones, it is difficult for the family and, in a way, understandable. But my family, nor the families of other KNF officials who were detained, did not experience this level of empathy from the government. However, we were met with great expressions of support and empathy from ordinary people and many people from the world of science and the financial market. I am still grateful for this, because I still feel this support, said the former head of the Polish Financial Supervision Authority.
– Often, when I’m on the subway or traveling somewhere in Poland, I meet ordinary people who recognize me and express their support because they don’t understand how, in the same case in which an official almost died, that official can be left to his own devices and then after a few years, to bring charges against him that he could have done more in a situation when institutions dedicated to combating crime did nothing – said Kwaśniak.
“The wife turned to Prime Minister Morawiecki”
– My wife publicly addressed Prime Minister Morawiecki and appealed to him to do something about this matter. She was met with no response whatsoever. However, many well-known politicians made scandalous statements and names against me, Kwaśniak reported.
The interviewer, Grzegorz Kajdanowicz, recalled that the detention of Kwaśniak in 2018 by CBA supervised by Kamiński and Wąsik was found by the district court to be “unfounded”. Kwaśniak received compensation.
– This compensation was paid to me, but Minister Ziobro still managed to file a cassation appeal to the Supreme Court, which is awaiting consideration by the Supreme Court from this case. Oddly enough, the Regional Prosecutor’s Office in Szczecin and the prosecutor’s office in Warsaw take a different position on this matter. The prosecutor’s office in Warsaw believed that I was entitled to compensation, and the prosecutor’s office in Szczecin believed that I was not, he said.
– The charge is under Article 231 of the Penal Code. (…) Together with our colleagues from the Polish Financial Supervision Authority, we were charged not because we violated the law, but because after some time the prosecutor’s office believes that we could have acted even faster – added Kwaśniak.
Kwaśniak: the state betrayed me and is bringing me to court
– For several years I have been demanding the establishment of a parliamentary commission of inquiry into this matter. Honest people have nothing to hide. The scale of the pathology in which people from the secret services, people from the prosecutor’s office and many public figures were involved would require taking action to reveal the truth. This truth will be shocking for many, Kwaśniak said.
– I believe that the truth will be revealed. (…) I would like the truth about this shameful and scandalous event, which caused the state to betray me and bring me to court, to be fully revealed – said the former deputy head of the Polish Financial Supervision Authority.
Detention of Wojciech Kwaśniak
In 2018, officers of the Central Anticorruption Bureau, at the request of the prosecutor’s office, detained the former chairman of the Polish Financial Supervision Authority, Andrzej Jakubiak, and six officials subordinated to him, including Wojciech Kwaśniak. As reported by the National Prosecutor’s Office, the detentions concerned failure to fulfill duties by officials in supervising SKOK Wołomin in 2013-2014.
In 2021, the District Court in Warsaw ruled that the detention of Wojciech Kwaśniak was unjust. In the justification for this ruling, Judge Danuta Kachnowicz calculated that as a result of the action, Kwaśniak suffered “shame, humiliation and mental suffering.”
She recalled that the former deputy head of the KNF – a position he held during the PO-PSL government – was taken out of the house in handcuffs, then in a convoy the Bureau agents took him to the hospital because he complained about his health, and then in a convoy to Szczecin, where, before being placed in detention was subjected to a strip search.
Beating Wojciech Kwaśniak
Wojciech Kwaśniak, as vice-chairman of the Polish Financial Supervision Authority, supervised the inspection of the Wołomin SKOK, from which – according to the prosecutor’s office – several billion zlotys were siphoned off. In May 2014, Kwaśniak was brutally beaten in front of his house in Warsaw’s Wilanów district. The bandit was allegedly hired by a member of the supervisory board of SKOK Wołomin. The trial in this case dragged on for many years. It started before the District Court for Warsaw-Mokotów at the end of 2015, but in November 2017, the judge handling the case went on maternity leave. The proceedings, which were already in their final stages, therefore had to start again. Consequently, the process started again in April 2019.