During the 31st Final of the Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity, on Sunday, January 29, over a thousand volunteers from 10 staffs will appear on the streets of Gdańsk. The main stage of the final will be the B90 club, the bank – the European Solidarity Centre, and one of the attractions to be auctioned off – the possibility of feeding Hel seals. There will also be a WOŚP town, numerous concerts and a three-meter illuminated can.
The 31st final of the Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity starts on Sunday, January 29. On that day, concerts, shows, cultural and sports events will take place all over Poland. This year, WOŚP will play under the slogan “Live healthy in a healthy world!” and will raise money to fight sepsis. It can lead to multiple organ failure, shock and death within a few hours. With the collected funds, the foundation plans to buy, among others: specialized devices for identifying microorganisms using mass spectrometry, analyzers for molecular diagnostics for identifying microorganisms along with the determination of drug resistance.
– The Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity is a work that has been going on for 31 years. A work that unites, not divides. The collection takes place every year for a special purpose. More and more often we hear about various infections, complications and, unfortunately, also death related to sepsis. We will be raising money for this purpose this year. I will also be a volunteer and collect money on the streets of our city – said the mayor of Gdańsk Aleksandra Dulkiewicz.
Fundraising, e-can and online auctions
During the event, almost a thousand volunteers from 10 staffs will come to the streets of Gdańsk. The youngest of them are still babies, the oldest fundraiser is 74 years old.
– Just five days after the start of recruitment, the entire list of volunteers was filled to the brim – said Dawid Jastrzębski, president of the Regional Volunteer Center in Gdańsk.
This year, the GOCC Town in Gdańsk will be located in the post-shipyard area at Elektryków Street. On site, everyone will be able to take part in a lottery, buy orchestra souvenirs in the shop or take part in rescue shows.
– For volunteers who will settle accounts for their cans at the European Solidarity Centre, we have a facilitation. A special bus will run between ECS and the WOŚP town so that everyone can take advantage of the incredible energy and atmosphere of the WOŚP finale in Gdańsk – emphasized Karol Gzyl from the Gdańsk Foundation.
Concerts will take place in hall B90 located at Elektryków Street. During the final, the following will play: Kasia Kowalska, Julia Żugaj, Jan Elf Czerwiński, 1One no and Unknown Performer. The WOŚP town and the concert stage will start at 16.00. The already traditional “Light to Heaven” will shine at 20.00. The final of the action is scheduled for 21.00.
In front of the Golden Gate, near the plaque commemorating Mayor Paweł Adamowicz, just like last year, there will be an e-box. It was mounted on a three-meter-high, illuminated installation depicting a real, decorated with hearts can of the Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity. It features a panel with a QR code linking to the WOŚP e-money box, which is run by the Regional Volunteer Centre.
As every year, the final will also be accompanied by auctions held on the Allegro portal.
Excursions, cooking together and feeding seals
– A unique auction will be the possibility of naming Gdańsk cats, four females and one male cheetah donated by the Gdańsk zoo. I encourage companies, institutions and individuals who have interesting items in their collections to donate them to auctions this year – informed Dawid Jastrzębski.
For many people, feeding seals at the Marine Station of the Institute of Oceanography of the University of Gdańsk in Hel can be a great attraction, where, under the supervision of experienced animal caretakers, you will be able to take part in feeding and medical training for a breeding herd of gray seals, as well as get acquainted with the work of scientists on porpoises.
The auction also included a conducting lesson, a cruise on the research ship of the University of Gdańsk RV Oceanograf, personalized wishes sung by the Academic Choir of the University of Gdańsk, as well as cooking together with the rector of the university or the president of Gdańsk Aleksandra Dulkiewicz.
– For those who know me a little better, it’s no secret that I like to cook, so I encourage you to cook together. The occasion is special because last year we published a unique book “Tastes of Gdańsk”. I invite you to prepare one of the dishes from this book together – stressed Aleksandra Dulkiewicz.
On the auction site, you can also find numerous interesting trips, such as the one around the inaccessible nooks and crannies of the New Town Hall in Gdańsk or a trip to the interior of the Tunnel under the Dead Vistula.
1.75 billion to support Polish medicine
The Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity Final is a one-day public collection organized by the Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity Foundation. During the 30 Finals, the Orchestra collected and donated over PLN 1.75 billion to support Polish medicine and purchased nearly 70,000 devices.
Main photo source: WOŚP Bialystok