The reportages “Mr. and Mrs. Ziobro” by Marta Gordziewicz and “The Power of Lies” by Piotr Świerczek are among the nominees for this year’s Radio ZET Award. Andrzej Woyciechowski, the latter was also among the three finalists. Journalists on TVN24 emphasized how difficult it was to work on these reports. – For half a year, I persuaded a dozen or so people to speak out. I had to break through terrible fear, admitted Marta Gordziewicz. – I’m glad that they finally trusted me and we broke the ice – added Piotr Świerczek about his interlocutors.
Justyna Suchecka and Piotr Szostak, journalists of tvn24.pl, winners of the Radio ZET Award. Andrzej Woyciechowski 2023. They were awarded for the material “Villa plus. Public money for organizations close to PiS. List“The final three also included TVN24 journalist Piotr Świerczek reportage “The power of lies“, and among the nominees for this award was also TVN24 reporter Marta Gordziewicz reportage “Mr. and Mrs. Ziobro“. Moreover, in the “Journalist for the Planet” category, Magda Łucyan from “Fakty” TVN was nominated for her series “Conversations about the end of the world”.
Marta Gordziewicz: I had to break through terrible fear
On Wednesday, Marta Gordziewicz and Piotr Świerczek were guests of “Facts in the afternoon” on TVN24. They talked about the difficulties of working on distinguished reportages in which they collided with the “machine of the state”.
– In my case, it was very difficult, because for half a year I talked to a dozen or so people who were somehow involved in a private matter. Zbigniew Ziobro and his family, and who suffered the consequences of the decisions they made that were bad for the Ziobros – said Marta Gordziewicz.
– The prosecutor’s office simply became interested in these people and searched through their lives, looking for anything to start an investigation. And indeed, for half a year I persuaded a dozen or so people to speak out, she added. – I had to overcome terrible fear and the best result of the fact that it was very difficult is that only one person decided to sit in front of the camera and tell their story – she pointed out.
– The others did not overcome this fear, but thanks to these people, thanks to the conversations I had with them, I returned to these people many times, I managed to make this report. They provided me with a number of information, which I later checked and it was confirmed, said the author of the reportage about the Minister of Justice.
Świerczek: managed to break the ice with the interlocutors
Piotr Świerczek, speaking about the background of working on the reportage on the activities of the Smolensk subcommittee, emphasized that he was glad that he managed to overcome the reluctance of his interlocutors to speak on this subject.
– Because my interlocutors were not only afraid because they were banned from speaking out, but above all they didn’t trust me. Because for years, participating in this machine unleashed by Antoni Macierewicz, they were heading in only one direction: bombing and explosion, let’s put it this way – he said.
– And when they decided to permanently part with this narrative, they had to turn to a TVN journalist, whom they had previously accused of manipulation, often during conferences. So I also had to break through with them in this way: suddenly, from being a stranger, I would become “their” journalist, whom they would entrust and trust, and would entrust with all the things that happened in the subcommittee, he continued.
– They called what Antoni Macierewicz was doing by name: manipulation, denying the truth, hiding evidence. And these were strong statements. I’m glad that they finally trusted me and we broke the ice – added the TVN24 journalist.
Main photo source: TVN24