The District Court in Zamość (Lubelskie Voivodeship) upheld the complaint of the defenders of the teenagers who took part in the fatal beating of 16-year-old Eryk. The girl will leave the educational center ahead of time, one of the boys will leave the juvenile shelter. Both were placed under the temporary supervision of a probation officer.
The decision was made on Thursday (April 20) before the District Court in Zamość. The court considered complaints received from the defender of 16-year-old Gabriela P., who was charged with aiding and abetting in a beating and stayed in an educational center, and one of the 16-year-olds – Szymon J., who was charged with participating in a beating and was placed in a juvenile shelter. There was no complaint against the third 16-year-old Arkadiusz P.
As judge Paweł Tobała, spokesman for the District Court in Zamość, told us, the court – as a result of complaints – revoked preventive measures to place minors in educational institutions and applied temporary supervision of a probation officer to them.
As Judge Tobała explained in an interview with the tvn24.pl portal, the court, when making such a decision, was guided by the “good of minors”. He also took into account the fact that the prosecutor did not collect sufficient evidence for the time of examining the complaint, which would sufficiently justify the imposition of a corrective measure against minors.
The court’s decision cannot be appealed, but as judge Tomała stressed, the prosecutor may again apply for the referral of teenagers to the centers where they previously stayed “if new evidence emerges or the behavior of these people at large would be inappropriate”. “At this stage of the proceedings, there is no need to do so,” the court concluded.
As Anna Rębacz from the District Prosecutor’s Office in Zamość said in an interview with tvn24.pl, the prosecutor’s office asked the court to disregard the complaints and maintain the existing preventive measures against both the 16-year-old and her peer.
Fatal beating of a 16-year-old, four people with charges
The tragedy happened on Tuesday, February 28, before 4 p.m. at ul. Józef Piłsudski in Zamość, near the Old Town. 16-year-old Eryk, walking along the sidewalk, was allegedly accosted and beaten by a group of youth. The perpetrators then left the scene. Despite resuscitation by the ambulance crew, the boy’s life could not be saved. Four teenagers were arrested after the attack.
The investigators charged 17-year-old Daniel G. with murder and participation in the beating, arguing that the collected material shows that he was the most aggressive person in this incident and kicked the victim in the head, which resulted in death. The suspect pleaded guilty only to the charge of participating in the fight.
The other two 16-year-olds: Szymon J. and Arkadiusz P., the prosecutor’s office accused of participating in the beating. A 16-year-old was arrested Gabriela P. was charged with aiding and abetting.
The main suspect, Daniel G., was arrested by the court for three months, and two 16-year-olds were placed in a juvenile shelter for the same period. The 16-year-old was placed in a foster home.
Preliminary findings indicate that the beating was caused by the alleged dissemination of news about one of the detained persons on the school premises. According to local media, it is about a 16-year-old girl who has been charged with aiding and abetting.
The main suspect – Daniel G. – faces up to 25 years in prison.
March against violence after the death of a 16-year-old
On March 3, young people from the Voluntary Labor Corps organized march against violence. Participants of the demonstration carried banners with the red inscription “Stop violence” and cards with the name “Eryk”. Some brought white roses and candles with them.
– We want it to be a symbol to show that we do not agree not only to violence, but also to human callousness. No one noticed that a young boy was being beaten, no one reacted in any particular way. Even if some services were called, unfortunately it came too late – said the organizer of the event during the march. She added: “We want to avoid fueling more violence, we don’t want violence to fuel violence, so it’s better that we walk in silence.”
Funeral Eric took place on March 6.
Main photo source: Lublin Police