After eight years, the parliamentary majority in our country has changed, but the most important task facing those in power has not changed – the need to take care of the security of our homeland, the safety of Polish women and men – said President Andrzej Duda in his New Year’s address. He called on “the government coalition to start observing the principles of a democratic state of law and respect citizens regardless of their political views.” He said he was “ready to cooperate on the most important issues for Poland, but he is also prepared for a situation where the government will not want such cooperation.”
The president said in his message that “the year just ended was a year of change in Polish politics.” – After eight years, the parliamentary majority in our country has changed, the prime minister has changed, the government has changed. But the most important task facing those in power has not changed – the need to take care of the security of our homeland, the safety of Polish women and men – he added.
As he said Andrzej Duda“that’s how it was in 2023 and it will be exactly the same in 2024, which is just starting.”
“Serious external threats to our homeland have not disappeared anywhere. A full-scale war is still taking place behind our eastern border. Therefore, we must constantly strengthen and modernize Polish armystrengthen alliances – he emphasized.
– There can be no retreat from this policy. Poland’s security has no price, and for me it is and will be the most important Polish issue. As the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, I am always ready to cooperate with the government on topics related to strengthening our security, said the president.
Duda: we are dealing with a new situation
As he said, we are dealing with a new situation in Polish politics. – The president and the government are from different political camps. This is normal in a democracy, but in a democracy you must respect the constitution, the rule of law and good political customs, he added.
– Unfortunately, in recent days, the government coalition, trying to take over the public media, broke these rules. For the first time in free Poland after 1989, there was an attempt to take over public media by force. The television signal of some channels was turned off and news programs stopped broadcasting. Finally, Polish Television, Polish Radio and the Polish Press Agency were put into liquidation, Duda said.
– I would like to say this clearly. Those in power can reform public media, but it must be done in accordance with the law. I have always been open to such discussions regarding legal changes. However, from my side there will never be consent to breaking the constitution. And this is unfortunately the situation we are currently dealing with, he continued.
President: I am prepared for a situation where the government will not want such cooperation
The president said in his message that “further announcements of making important decisions through parliamentary resolutions also raise serious concerns.”
– Resolutions of the Sejm do not have legal force to constitute the basis for actions of state bodies with consequences for citizens. Such actions are also flagrantly contrary to the constitution, he added.
– If we agree to such practices today, each new parliamentary majority will be able to act in this way in the future, Duda said.
He announced that “as the President of the Republic of Poland, he will strongly oppose such actions in accordance with his constitutional powers.”
– That is why I call on the government coalition to start observing the principles of a democratic state of law and respect citizens regardless of their political views – he said. – These should be your political New Year’s resolutions – he added.
– We have to say this clearly. Legal chaos and internal conflict in Poland lead to the weakening of our state and, consequently, the weakening of our security. We have faced such a situation before. I remember it perfectly because I was a minister in the president’s office Lech Kaczyńskiwhen Donald Tusk was previously the head of the government. I drew conclusions from that situation. I am ready to cooperate on the most important issues for Poland, but I am also prepared for a situation where the government does not want such cooperation, said the president.
President: Poland’s presence in NATO and the European Union are the foundations of our security
He noted that “2024, which is just starting, is also a time of important anniversaries – the twenty-fifth anniversary of Poland’s accession to the North Atlantic Alliance and the twentieth anniversary of Poland’s accession to the European Union.”
– Polish presence in FOR THIS as well as in the EU, these are the foundations of our security. I have said this many times. This is the Polish reason of state. But our presence in the EU and NATO requires constant efforts to pursue Polish interests. The July alliance summit in Washington will provide an opportunity for this choice new authorities of the European Union – noted the president.
– This will also be a year of preparation for our presidency of the Council of the European Union in the first half of 2025. During the presidency, we can strive even better for our priorities, for greater involvement of the United States in Europe, for the expansion of the Union to the east and south, and for strengthening energy security, he said.
– Despite the great emotions we have in Polish politics, the numerous unrest in the world and the great drama of the war that is taking place beyond our eastern border, let this be a good year for Poland, for Polish affairs and Polish families. May this be a good year for you in your personal and professional life. I wish you health, happiness, love and peace. Happy New Year!” Duda said at the end.
Main photo source: president.pl