Sławomir Mentzen, one of the leaders of the Confederation, assured in TVN’s “Fakty” that he did not intend to co-create a government with either the Civic Coalition or PiS. He also talked about his attitude towards the European Union. He argued that his group’s program “does not include any idea, not even the slightest one, of limiting the rights of women or gays.”
Sławomir Mentzen, one of the leaders of the Confederation, was the guest of a new series of interviews in TVN’s “Fakty” program, which was extended during the pre-election week.
– Our goal is to implement our program, which we published in June – he said, adding that implementing the demands does not have to mean being in the government. – You can implement your demands, for example if you have a blocking minority in the Sejm. You can then say that “we want something in return for supporting our bill, for example,” he explained. – I do not intend to co-create with the government or the Civic Coalition or with PiS. However, this does not mean that we do not intend to implement our program – he added.
Mentzen: If the referendum were now, I would not support Poland’s exit from the European Union
Mentzen was asked about his attitude towards the European Union. – I have said many times that I believe that at this point, Poland’s presence in the European Union is profitable. I am a great supporter of the free movement of capital, people, services and people, he said.
When asked whether, if there was a referendum, he would vote for or against Poland remaining in the EU, he replied: – When would this referendum be held and for what reason? At this point, I see no reason for there to be a referendum at all. I am not in favor of any referendum.
– If a referendum were held at this moment, which I am not in favor of and which I do not support, I would not support Poland’s exit from the European Union – he said. He added that he did not know what would have to happen “for this referendum to take place today.” – However, the problem is what will happen to the European Union in the next few years – he added.
Mentzen: in our program there is not the slightest idea of limiting the rights of women or gays
Mentzen was also asked about statements by some Confederation representatives suggesting restrictions on people’s rights LGBT.
– Our program does not include any idea, not the slightest, of limiting the rights of women or gays, he argued. – The only demand I have regarding homosexuals is to abolish the inheritance and donation tax, because at the moment this tax is paid mainly by gays, because families are exempt from it. This is my only demand on this matter, which means that we want to increase the rights of gays. We do not want to reduce them in any way, he emphasized.
Mentzen on the Hamas attack on Israel: I do not favor either side
The guest of “Fakty” TVN was also asked about the situation after the Hamas attack on… Israel.
– I am not getting involved in this conflict because I do not favor either side of this conflict. Both sides of this conflict are committing war crimes, he emphasized. – Israel is currently bombing the Gaza Strip. He bombs apartment blocks. It cuts off water, electricity and food supplies to two million people. Do you know that half of the inhabitants of Gaza are children? – he turned to the presenter.
Piotr Kraśko replied that Hamas fighters place rocket launchers next to a nursery, school or apartment house and the Israeli commander is faced with a dilemma whether he will destroy the rocket launcher, which will also result in the destruction of the apartment block.
– Of course you can attack a block of flats if the other side is defending in that block of flats. This is perfectly acceptable. However, I have very deep doubts that all the apartment blocks being bombed in the Gaza Strip at the moment contain Hamas fighters. Besides, I do not support Hamas. Both sides in this dispute are committing war crimes, Mentzen continued.
One of the leaders of the Confederation also said that “Israelites have also been murdering Palestinians and have been doing so for years.” – Both sides of this dispute have a lot on their conscience, (…). I do not intend to subscribe to war crimes committed by either side. There is no friendship between the State of Israel and Poland at this point. We should stay as far away from this conflict as possible, he emphasized.
The program host also quoted an archived entry by Konrad Niżnik, who is now competing in elections from the Confederation lists. He wrote, among other things, that “there is no such thing as Polish Jews”, “no Jew has ever thought like a Pole”, “the only thing you have written down in the history of the world is the crucifixion of Jesus Christ” (original spelling – ed.). – I deeply disagree with these statements – replied the guest of “Fakty” TVN. The host also quoted another statement by a person running on the Confederation’s list. It was about the words: “saying I don’t want Jews and gays is the same as saying I don’t want tomato soup.” – This sentence is definitely taken out of context – commented Mentzen.
Main photo source: TVN24