13.6 C
Thursday, May 30, 2024

UEFA Champions League. Real Madrid advanced to the semi-finals after a penalty shootout

Must read

- Advertisement -

Extra time and penalties were needed to decide the winner in the Champions League quarter-final clash in Manchester between City and Real Madrid. Ultimately, the guests came out on top and won 4-3. Earlier, in Wednesday's match it was 1-1, and a week ago in Spain 3-3.

Immediately after the Champions League draw, the confrontation between defending champions Manchester City and Real Madrid was described as a premature finale. The first quarter-final match of both excellent teams confirmed these opinions. After a great game, the match at Santiago Bernabueu ended with a draw 3:3.

Clash of giants

Before the second leg at the Etihad Stadium, the Citizens were given slightly more chances to advance. In this clash, the home field advantage seemed to be very important. A year ago, both teams met in the semi-finals and in the first match in Madrid there was a 1-1 draw. However, in the rematch, Guardiola's players dominated and won 4-0.

- Advertisement -


No one in the Royal team considered history repeating itself. Wednesday's rematch promised to be an even match.

Goal for Real Madrid

Both teams started the game with great respect for their rivals. The guests were the first to successfully emerge from behind the double guard. Real launched a quick counterattack, which was finished by Rodrygo with an effective shot from close range. City's defenders played extremely passively throughout this action, counting that he was offside.

Rodrygo put Real Madrid aheadGettyImages

After losing the goal, the locals took the initiative. Every now and then there were more attacks on the Royals' goal. The closest to luck was Erling Haaland in the 18th minute, who hit the crossbar. The Citizens had a decisive advantage, they constructed subsequent positional attacks, but were unable to finish their actions. The only thing they managed to get were numerous corner kicks. So they went into the break losing 0-1.

City equalizes

After the change of sides, the game did not change – the hosts were still in control. The guests consistently defended and counted on their chances on the counterattack. There was constant chaos in front of Real's goal, and the Ukrainian goalkeeper, Andriy Lunin, had to work like crazy. At times, citizens looked as if they were beating their heads against a wall.

It was like that until the 76th minute. Then winger Jeremy Doku scored a hit, and after his throw-in, Antonio Ruediger made a bad intervention in the penalty area. The ball he deflected went to Kevin De Bruyne's feet, and the Belgian took advantage of the gift and led to a draw.

Kevin De Bruyne tied the score.GettyImages

Six minutes later, the same player could have scored a second goal, but he shot badly from ten meters. Since no one else scored, it went to overtime.

Overtime and penalty shootout

In extra time, the initiative still belonged to Guardiola's players. There were a lot of offensive actions, but few resulted from them. The most dangerous situation was when Ruediger entered the penalty area for the hosts, but he shot over from a few meters.

Ultimately, penalties were needed to determine the winner. Already at the beginning, Ederson saved Luka Modric's eleven, and Lunin caught Bernardo Silva's terrible shot. The Ukrainian goalkeeper also took a shot from Mateo Kovacic. The rest of Real's players did not disappoint, and Ruediger finished the job. In this way, the Royal team advanced to the semi-finals of the Champions League.

Manchester City – Real Madrid 1-1 after extra time. (1:1, 0:1); penalties: 3-4.

Goals: for Manchester City – Kevin De Bruyne (76); for Real Madrid – Rodgrygo (12).

Judge: Daniele Orsato (Italy). First match – 3:3. Promotion: Real Madrid.

Main photo source: GettyImages

Source link

More articles

- Advertisement -

Latest article